WELCOME TO THE RETREAT

Offering self-worth outreach to women and teens since 2006.

We are bombarded with the idea that if you are successful, attractive, and well liked, then you have value. These messages we battle everyday are leading to depression, inadequacy, and collapse. Plastic surgery, bullying among teen girls, perfection in the media, and eating disorders are only some of the indicators that we need more support.

It’s time for a new message.

Cauliflower Retreat offers a revolutionary new self-worth support network, bringing self-worth support into your home and community. We are an outreach program designed to empower women and teens using positive messages of self-worth. As part of our code of ethics we are not a treatment program and our team is instructed not to act outside scope of practice. Rather, our focus is on prevention by building self-worth, and strengthening your sense of value. Our outreach programs are propelled from our series of products and workbooks that promote self-worth.

We are here to bring out the best in you.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Spotlight #1

Introducing...


Amy Nelson









Amy grew up in Utah and her husband, Jared, in Oregon. One Summer, they were introduced through mutual friends and instantly hit it off. After dating on and off for a couple years, they went their separate ways to both serve missions for their church. Upon returning home, they resumed dating and were married in August, 2005. Four weeks later, while on a fieldtrip with his class, Jared was involved in a very serious car accident, leaving him with a traumatic brain injury. Jared is now completely dependant upon others for his care. He is not able to walk, talk, eat on his own, or do any of the things he was able to before the accident.





When things get difficult, how do you find strength? "I really just try take one day at a time. There are always ups and downs so when things get hard I make myself sit down, take a breath, find something fun to do, and remember tomorrow is another day and it will be better."





What message would you share with someone who is going through a hard time? "The hard times will pass. It may not seem like it, but we are always given a little bit of sunshine (people, experiences, etc.) along the way to help us get to where we need to be."





Share with us a time that you felt like you wanted to give up..."Sometimes our daily routine is very taxing and I feel like giving up, but as I said, I just try to take one day at a time and somehow it always works out."





Do you have any favorite quotes or inspirational message that help you? "Nothing of value comes without effort"





What do you feel is the biggest pressure facing women and teens? "I feel the biggest pressure facing women and teens is the pressure to be physically perfect. There is no such thing. If we can find things we love about ourselves, strive to always improve ourselves and focus on that, we don't need to worry about all the other stuff."





What is your favorite flavor if ice cream? "Rocky Road or Cookie Dough!"





Tell us about an embarrassing moment you've had..."This may sound dumb but I can't think of a good embarrassing moment. I did just recently overflow a sink at my in-laws house and because I am never that forgetful my mother-in-law got yelled at for it. I was very embarrassed to admit that it was me and then to top it off the ceiling dripped for a few days until it dried out reminding me of my silliness. Guess I am getting old!"





What is something you LOVE about yourself? "I am a very stubborn person and while that can be a bad trait at times, I am very grateful for it in myself. I think it has helped me get through everything I have had to go through and it helps me to get things done."



A big "THANKS!" to Amy for sharing her personal story and inspiring messages with us. She truly is a "Woman of strength" and we all have learned a lot from her uplifting personality and positive attitude!

2 comments:

  1. That is great! Thank you for inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you are a great source of insipiration for many women. Sometimes it can be so difficult to continue on when life gets hard. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete